An exchange program for secondary school students. Students travel to other countries to learn about the culture and the language as well as act as a cultural ambassador for their own country.
So many reasons! Youth exchange...
• Provides young people with the opportunity to experience cultures other than their own
• Gives participants a broader view of the world and a deeper understanding of themselves
• Develops leadership and communication skills in youth
• Advances international understanding and world peace
• Allows students to meet people from other countries and experience culture firsthand
• Helps students to gain a better understanding of the basic needs we all share and diversity that makes each culture unique
Eligible students must be
• Between the ages of 15 and 18 ½
• Be returning to secondary school on their return to Canada
• At high school or equivalent academic level
• Above average academically
• Socially ready to handle living abroad for an extended period
• Prepared to learn a new language
Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany , Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey
(please note that this list is subject to small changes on a yearly basis)
Visit the district site to find out more: youthexchange.rotary5060.com, and attend our information session which is scheduled for September 15th, 2016 at 7 pm in the library of Merritt Secondary School.
Hosting a student can be a wonderful, rewarding experience. If you have a spare bedroom and would be interested in hosting a student in your home for a period of 2 ½ months, please contact us. You do not need to be a Rotarian! More information on hosting can be found right here.